Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Be Nice or Ignore Me

Walking in the dark. Walking in the rain. The moments slide off behind me. It is so much easier to walk in the dark. No one can see me and if no one can see me then I don't have to worry about not meeting up to some stranger's expectations.

This summer I spent a lot of time walking in a retirement community. Most of the people were friendly. A few looked at me like I was an unwanted trespasser (probably was).

But one lady, coming up the opposite side of the street looked at me with anger and began to mimic my walk. She swung her arms in great exaggeration like a power-walker and looked directly at me with the darkest disgust I've seen in a while.

Gee. It's pretty bad when even old people don't like you.

...O.k., and there was the time I made the mistake of walking in the early August morning with just my sports bra. Who knew a t-shirt was so important?

But tonight, in the dark, I don't have to be mature. I don't have to be well dressed. I don't have to graciously handle other people's offending nature. I can just be me in all of my me-ness. Maybe it is good that I can't see God. Maybe it is good that now I "see through the glass darkly". It is soooo nice to not have to be mature or well dressed or gracious. I like being with Him in my me-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment